Thursday, January 3, 2008

Practical experience helps graduate

Practical experience at Life Skills Center of North Akron is helping
Summer O'Brien shape her career plans.

O'Brien, 21, of Akron, said she's attended the school since it opened in 2005.

She's worked at the front desk of the school for over a year.

"It was a great opportunity," O'Brien said. "What better job can you get
at the school. I know now how to do administrative duties and enrollment
as well as mailing, filing and faxing. I learned how to work with
people. I was kind of shy, but not anymore."

O'Brien said she also likes the teachers at the school and has learned
much better there after dropping out of Cuyahoga Falls High School.

"They're awesome," she said. "The staff is excellent and they pushed me
to get my work done. If I didn't go to Life Skills, I probably wouldn't
have graduated."

After graduation, O'Brien said she's interested in working as a
secretary or medical assisting.

No comments: