Friday, May 25, 2007

Married couple preparing for college through Life Skills


A young area married couple is being able to prepare for college through Life Skills Center of Trumbull County.
Dan and Sabrina Hall were married last June.
They met out of school and dated for eight months before they were married.
Life Skills Center of Warren is an alternative education charter school which accommodates students ages 16-22.
“The teachers would ignore me at my previous school,” said Dan, 19. “I felt disrespected. I got jumped because of my race (Asian). That was the last straw.”
This is Dan’s third year at the school and he wants to graduate in June 2008.
“No one makes fun of anybody here,” he said. “The teachers help a lot and help me understand the material. No one ignores you. (When I went to a public school and didn’t understand something, I didn’t do it, but now I feel more comfortable asking for help.”
"My teachers (at my previous school) were rude,” said Sabrina, 18. “I wanted to finish early and didn’t like it over there. There was too much drama. I enjoy the help and the respect (at Life Skills).”
Sabrina plans to graduate in June.
Both students are looking to go to college, Dan for design and Sabrina to be a veterinarian.
Dan said he likes to go to school with his wife.
“It’s someone I can talk to,” he said. “We study together.”

No comments: