Thursday, December 13, 2007

Life Skills Center of Dayton featured graduates

After a mix-up with his assignments flunked him out of his classes, Dayton resident Jamel Head said he was able to find redemption at Life Skills Center of Dayton.

"I had surgery on my legs, they messed up my assignments and I flunked out (of classes)," Head said. "I needed to catch up and a counselor suggested I try Life Skills."

Head, who has attended the school for one year, said he was able to earn needed credits there.

"Having teachers who believe in you and want you to go somewhere and make something of your life is important," he said.

After graduation, Head, 19, said he wants to take business classes at Sinclair Community College in Dayton and is eyeing a career in Radio/TV production.

"I want to own my own television station," he said.

In this video, Head talks about what he likes best about the school.



Jacquilla Peterson wants a high school diploma, not just for herself, but her two children.

"I want to change my kids life," Peterson smiled as she talked about her two daughters; Jasmine, 3, and Alexandria, 1. "I was tired of making $8 an hour. I want to help provide a better life for them (and be able to earn enough) to be able to spend more quality time with them."

It wasn't always easy for Peterson, 22, she credits her teachers for giving her the strength to continue her studies.

"There were times I wanted to quit, but the teachers told me to keep going," she said. "Their determination helped me."

After graduation, Peterson is planning on attending Sinclair Community College in Dayton to study Culinary Arts.

In this video, she talks about her favorite part of school.

No comments: