Thursday, December 13, 2007

Jan. 2008 Life Skills Center of Middletown featured graduates

Robbie Myers talks about his experiences at the school. He is slated to graduate in January.

After getting in fights in public schools, he said he was looking for peace,
something Myers says he's found at Life Skills Center of
Middletown.

"I was in a lot of trouble," Myers said. "People kept
trying to fight me."

So Myers, 18, looked for an alternative at the public
charter school.

"I wanted to work hard to graduate," he said. "Other
students treated me better and the teachers helped me
out whenever I needed it. I got to work at my own
pace. The teachers are friendly."

"He's become a lot more driven and really wanted to graduate,"
said his special education teacher Chris Doty. "He used to be really
distracted
and now he really concentrates on his work and is focused."

Myers, who has attended the school for three years,
says he wants to pursue a career in mixed martial arts
after graduation.



Aaron Travis Combs talks about his experiences at the school. He is also slated to graduate in January.


For him, the ability to go to Life Skills Center of Middletown for three hours
a day while he works at his career goal was appealing.

"I didn't like public school," he said. "A shorter day
is better for me since I work. I like doing work at my
own pace."

Combs, 17, has attended the school just over a year.

"In Travis, I've seen him succeed phenomenally here," said
his science teacher, Angie Verhoff. "He's had dedication and
every day he's here he's working hard to reach his goals.
He knows what he wants and he's going to make it."

After graduation, he said he's interested in getting
certified for welding and looking for a career as a
diesel mechanic.


No comments: